United Neighborhood Houses (UNH) is a policy and social change organization representing 45 neighborhood settlement houses that reach 765,000 New Yorkers from all walks of life. A progressive leader for more than 100 years, UNH is stewarding a new era for New York’s settlement house movement. We mobilize our members and their communities to advocate for good public policies and promote strong organizations and practices that keep neighborhoods resilient and thriving for all New Yorkers. UNH seeks a mid-level Communications Associate who will be embedded in UNH’s Policy and Advocacy Department and raise and deepen the organization’s policy profile and message through social and traditional media.
UNH is engaged in many legislative and budget advocacy campaigns and coalitions during the city and state legislative seasons and year-round, and the Communications Associate will be responsible for creating, implementing, and supporting communications strategies for UNH’s Policy and Advocacy department to advance that work. The primary goals of the Communications Associate are to create and share strategic messages that will augment UNH’s advocacy work, and to elevate UNH as a leading policy voice in New York City and State. This position reports to the Director of Policy and Advocacy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- ● Managing UNH’s social media platforms for advocacy content with to bolster advocacy campaigns, build UNH’s profile, and engage policy audiences.
- ● Writing and editing press statements, media advisories, talking points, op-eds, etc. that support UNH’s advocacy work.
- ● Developing and shaping campaign messaging in collaboration with Policy and Advocacy staff and Executive Director
- ● Designing advocacy materials (fact sheets, infographics) in collaboration with Policy and Advocacy staff and the Director of External Relations.
- ● Working with external partners in advocacy coalitions to develop campaign messaging and other supporting materials.
- Updating content on Policy & Advocacy section of the UNH website.
- ● Working with Policy and Advocacy staff and settlement houses to identify and craft newsworthy stories to further advocacy campaigns.
- Identifying, training, and managing settlement house spokespeople to respond to time sensitive media requests.
- ● Collaborating with UNH’s PR firm. This includes developing pitch ideas, drafting and editing media releases and statements, coordinating interviews and opportunities, briefing both staff and reporters, and cultivating new media relationships.
- Participating in the UNH Communications Staff peer group, comprised of settlement house communications staff.
- ● Collaborating with the Director of External Relations to ensure that Policy and Advocacy priorities are represented in UNH’s general public facing newsletters, fundraising, etc.
- ● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- ● Strong ability to condense complex and/or dense information in a brief and engaging way.
- ● Knowledge and strategic utilization of social media tools (Twitter, Instagram, other platforms) in the nonprofit and advocacy environment.
- ● Knowledge of New York City and New York State government.
- ● Interest in human services, anti-poverty, and civic engagement issues.
- ● Experience in public relations work and writing op-eds, press releases, media quotes, and talking points, especially quickly or on short notice.
- ● Knowledge of New York City and State press corps.
- ● Video and photo editing experience.
- ● Related government or non-profit work experience, and knowledge of and work in advocacy preferred.
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following skills and experience:
The most competitive candidates will also demonstrate several of the following skills and experience:
Note that UNH offices are currently operating on a hybrid schedule. Applicants must have an ability to commute to our office in Lower Manhattan, as well as the ability to travel throughout New York City during business hours and occasionally to Albany.
Salary range: $65,000-$70,000
UNH offers a competitive salary and benefits package as well as excellent medical, dental and retirement plans, and is committed to growth within the organization. UNH has made a commitment to apply a racial equity lens to our work. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and welcome applicants of diverse backgrounds including race, ethnic culture, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.
How to Apply:
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to: [email protected] No inquiries please; only successful candidates will be contacted.