Intro/Program Description: The Manhattan Outreach Consortium is a borough-wide initiative to reach out to and quickly move street homeless individuals into permanent housing. The Manhattan Outreach Consortium collaborates with various community partners and healthcare agencies throughout Manhattan.
Purpose of Position: The Outreach Worker will work to creatively and effectively engage individuals living on the street through outreach in the community. The position will serve to respond to 311 community calls and to provide outreach to chronically street homeless. The position will work collaboratively with the other MOC teams.
Schedule: Wednesday through Sunday 11:00 pm to 7:00 am
Goddard Riverside and Isaacs Center follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
- Part of a two-person team reaching out to homeless adults in Manhattan
- Approach homeless individuals and encourage them to accept services
- Client monitoring: placing individuals on a pre-caseload tracking sheet, logging bedded down sightings, assessing for safety and providing advocacy; referring and transporting clients to shelters and/or drop-ins as needed
- Communicate with clients already known to the program; assist in promoting service goals and escort clients when needed
- Enter data into computer database
- Prepare reports on shift activities and client status
- Assist in training of new staff and participate in group trainings for current staff
- Respond to 311 calls regarding homeless individuals
- Drive outreach van
- Canvass for vulnerable individuals during Code Blue and Code Red seasons
- Participation in overnight quarterly counts of homeless individuals living on the street. Schedule shift to overnight hours at least four nights out of the year for counts would be necessary
Other duties as required
- High School diploma required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets the agency’s auto insurance guidelines (including at least 1 year as a licensed driver and no suspensions within the last 3 years)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience with persons with mental illness or homelessness preferred
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 lbs
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Office, Street Smarts, MoCApp
- Frequent walking and standing
- Indoors and outdoors; all weathers
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of duties and responsibilities that will be required of this position and title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job related task other than those specifically presented in this description. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.